Thursday, July 19, 2007

Cookie Snob

My brother, Robert, is the absolute best baker in the world (he's also a great cook by the way). He's especially famous for his cookies and banana pudding. I don't know how he gets his cookies so perfect. The last few times I've made them they have been really flat. Robert's chocoloate chip cookies are to die for-chewy, melt in your mouth, and double the amount of chocolate chips! After eating them (or shall I say inhaling them), I just can't have a "Chips Ahoy" or even a store-baked cookie. His wife, Erica, agrees. She said it perfectly when I saw her in Texas a few weeks ago- "I'm a cookie snob now." She compares his cookies to those of her coworkers and they just don't measure up- of course I'm not surprised! She and I agree that it's better to not waste calories on mediochre, amateur cookies. Robert was so kind enough to teach me some of his secrets, which I will graciously share with you.

1. He uses a kitchen aid mixer. It really mixes everything a lot better than a hand mixer.

2. He watches the cookies very carefully and takes them out when they are BARELY brown (possibly even before).

3. He uses a nonstick/silicone spatula to take the cookies off of the cookie sheet.

4. The William Sonoma cookie sheet works the best. He doesn't know why, it just does.


What cookie tips do you have?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To make them fluffy and not thin, use a low-water content fat -- such as shortening (not butter), and use low-protein flour (like cake flour). NEVER use bread flour -- too much protein.

Anonymous said...

Keep the cookie dough cold until ready to bake. Never, never, never over-bake chocolate chip cookies.