Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Why I "Heart" My Gym

I have been asked the question, "What do you look for in a gym?" Different amenities and features of a gym are important to different people and we all seek one that is just right for us. I have been a member of Bally's, 24 Hour Fitness, and now Crunch. Of those three, I am happiest with Crunch. Just go to www.crunch.com and you will see its philosophy on fitness. It's a very laid back, no judgements fitness facility that I don't feel intimidated to go to. I don't like feeling like I have to keep up with the latest fashion trends and put on a lot of makeup to go to the gym. If any of you have ever seen me at the gym in the morning, you know that I don't wear any makeup.

Another aspect of Crunch that I love is their fitness classes. I have never been to a gym with such professional instructors in my life! Some of them have been featured on television or made their own fitness videos. Their training is impeccable and I have not found one gym that has surpassed them in this area.

Crunch also has a nice facility with clean locker rooms and updated fitness equipment. I refuse to go to a gym that has sweat stains on cardio equipment and elliptical machines that are practically from the early 90s.

I know other people that are happy with their gyms. My master's thesis was on Curves, and I think that what that facility has done to improve women's overall fitness is amazing. I will post a link to my thesis once my new website is up and running so you can learn more. But, to sum it up, I like the fact that Curves has tapped into a completely "untapped" market. Women who weren't previously exercising do so now because they are in an environment where they feel comfortable.

So, I "heart" Crunch. What gym do you "heart" and why?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For working out, I go to Curves. It fits into my schedule and lifestyle--it is close to work and home; the hours of operation coincide with my schedule; and I can get my workout completed in about 35 minutes. Curves facilities do not provide showers, but I do not find this as being a drawback. I can go home and shower right after I work out. The facilities are always extremely clean and the personnel are upbeat and friendly. Let's just say it works for me and meets my needs!

Unknown said...

I work out at Colony Square Athletic Club. I like my gym because I can walk to it in five minutes! Also, they provide a wide variety of classes. I tried "Boot Camp" which was intense! I also like that the owner always waves and says hello to me whenever I come in and remembers me from when I joined. My gym also has TVs and a music channel for listening to good workout music if my IPOD is out of commission.

individually wrapped slices said...

Yeah! Crunch is the best! I went to a World's Gym (which was open 24 hours). And I didnt like that because there was this women's fitness area. Like the women shouldnt even intermingle with the men or something! It was a segregated environment. And crappy music. Then I went to Bally's for a bit. And that sucked because there colors are black and grey. And who wants to work out in a black and grey environment. They took over a lot of the Crunch's in the Atlanta area and made them into Bally's. And now those former Crunch's SUCK! So Crunch. I heart thee. Niki