Friday, October 19, 2007

Granola Greatness

When I went to Houston a few weeks ago, I went into one of my favorite supermarkets- Central Market. For those of you who are not familiar with this absolutely amazing place, it's similar to Whole Foods, except not all of its products are organic. They have foods from all over the world, so if you're looking for Nutella or Bonne Maman Jelly from France, this is your one stop shop!

It's always fun to go to Central Market on Saturdays because they have free samples of everything- fine cheeses, breads, wines, salsa, etc. I go there to have breakfast/lunch because the free samples are so grand. On this particular Saturday, the free samples were especially great. After passing the wine section, my sister and I came to the packaged goods and saw free samples of granola. Unable to pass up granola, I tried it and thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Yes, it was just that good. I talked to the young entrepreneur who came up with the recipe, which consists of whole grain rolled oats, tart cherries, unsweetened coconut, cranberries, zante currants, dates, and flaxseed. The stats on this are amazing:

For one serving, you get 13 grams of whole grains, 0 grams of trans fat, low sodium, 110% of your daily allowance of vitamin C, and 80 milligrams of potassium. To top it all off, it's only 130 calories per serving (of course, my problem is actually sticking to just one serving because it's so addictive!).

So, what makes this granola different? Well, for me, it's the fact that it's chewy and not crunchy. It tastes similar to apple crisp, without the apples of course! I also like that it has currants, black cherries, dates, pecans, and almonds! It keeps me full for a long time, and since I probably just had about two servings of it (in addition to the cheerios I ate just before it), I should be able to last WELL into the afternoon without needing a snack. I eat it straight out of the bag, but I'm sure it tastes great with ice cream or vanilla yogurt.

If you are into granola, you've got to check this out. Go to www.andersontrail.com to learn more.

No comments: